So the time has finally come! We have been so busy in the past few weeks that we haven’t had a chance to post as we go.
When we got back from Nepal and Malaysia on 24th Feb it gave us until 19th March to finish the Troopy and get it fully packed for shipment to the UK.
We had a few large-ish jobs to be done, namely replacing the motor on the winch, fixing a persisting yet slight transmission
leak and repairing some cracked welds on the rear wheel carrier. Once these irksome tasks were complete we moved on to what I would call the sexy part of the job. The finishing touches.
We ripped every panel out of that vehicle and cleaned it on the inside only. 20 years worth of Aussie dirt had collected behind the panels but once cleaned we realised that all of Jeromes’ medical equipment could be easily stored behind the paneling on just one side of the vehicle.
On the other side of the Troopy right at the back door we mounted an overkill water filtration system.
It consisted of a 20L per minute @ 80 PSI pump going into filter one (One micron -to filter out the particles of sediment and algae) leading to filter two (.5 microns – removes chlorine, giardia, taste and odour) leading to the final filter at .2 microns that deals with all of the bacteria and pathogens.
The system was hooked up via hoseline to the 60L bladder tank at the front of the vehicle. A second hose ran from the tank down the other side of the troopy to the left hand rear door with a tap on it. With a flick of a switch the pump comes on and you have sterile, tasty water. Designed by Jerome – too good!
Next we stored all of our spare Troopy bits behind the rear left panel surrounding the jack. Between the rear door and wheel carrier we made and mounted a bracket to hold a 10L jerry can for water. Using wire and a padlock we can keep it secure.
We also mounted a half size alloy ladder to the rear left door. It is hung from the lip of the rear door and bolted onto the door at it’s base. I’m a little worried that the ladder may pull on the door so we will need to keep an eye on it.
On the drivers side of the car we have fixed three extendable tent poles along the bottom of the roof cage. You can extend each pole out from the car and hang a tarp around it for a makeshift bathroom!! This was my idea and although some may view it as ghetto I love it! Quick, cheap and easy to set up. Plus the poles always stay mounted to the roof cage and the tarp folds away or can be used for other tasks afterwords.
For the roof cage I designed and made three wooden, lockable, watertight and waterproof boxes. Box one was built to store a second set of wheels for Jeromes’ chair. It also can hold all of the wheel spares such as tubes and puncture repair kits. The second box holds a mini chainsaw (which ROCKS and has seen us through a few trips). It also holds the fuel and oil as well as some other spare liquids such as gear oil and power steering fluid. Box three is a general box and currently holds two camp chairs, two inflatable Exped mattresses, a two burner stove and hoses, the tarp, the Foxwing awning side connectors, Jeromes Free wheel (a fourth wheel that clips on to the front of his chair) blah blah blah. It holds a shitload of stuff!! It means that bar the tent and spare tyre on the roof – everything lives in a box. The boxes are fitted with padlocks so we can pack up/unpack super quick and our stuff is kept safely on the outside of the car. It’s a great place to keep stuff dry and clean whilst driving too. The boxes are bolted to the roof cage with U-bolts.
To prevent anything being removed or unbolted from the roof we have run a removable zig-zag of stainless steel rope wire/cable across the cage over our gear. The wire can be padlocked as well as the boxes that it protects. A brilliant idea of Jeromes.
We mounted the high lift jack nice and low on the drivers side side bar.
A while ago we bought a bead breaker from a 4WD expo so we thought it would be prudent to test it out. The breaker came with a video on how to use it and it certainly helped! If you know what you are doing you can take a punctured tyre from a rim and replace it in minutes. A piece of equipment that we hope not to use……
And lastly we bought some spade holders that mount to the side of our roof cage to hold…. yes, you guessed it – the spade.
We sent the beast off to get detailed on the outside which cost $120.00. At last we had finished the troopy! We gathered all of our stuff together and lined it up on the floor next to the Troopy – just in time for it to rain the heaviest rain that I have seen in a bloody long time. We shoved everything into the garage and the next day proceeded to load up the vehicle.
This was meant to be the most stressful part of the process for us so far but it went perfectly. Everything has it’s place in the Troopy and we have so much space left over. We slipped all of the roof contents (including the massive boxes) into the rear of the troopy for shipping with ease. We even got the huge spare tyre in there.
We drove the Troopy through Sydney to a container loading depot in Sydenham. We had built the Trroopy around the dimensions of a 20ft sole use shipping container and knew it would be a very tight fit. Turns out that we had 18mm clearance between the roof of the car and the entrance into the container!!!!
So in the end we have shipped the Troopy from Sydney to Southampton, UK with a transit time of 45 days. Including all fees it has cost us AUD $5,100.00, plus the Carnet at a cost of AUD $1200.00. A Carnet is like a passport for your car and allows you to drive it through a whole plethora of countries. If you are going travelling overland – you will need this.
Check out this video – it looks like a magic trick!
OK so that’s it for now – I guess we will be back on the blog when we hit the UK on 23rd April. Bon voyage peeps…….